Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Mantra

I'm standing in the doorway, half in and half out of the room. I can hear music from the study downstairs. My brother has shut himself in there, turned the volume up high.

I'm listening. I don't want to hear the words, I'm listening out for anything else. For something that tells me I have to go down there and step in.

I lean against the doorframe.

There's a noise like maybe a plate being slammed down on the table, but not broken.

I'm thinking about how he said that I was strong. That he liked me because I was strong.

I don't feel strong. I feel like calling him, just to hear a voice.

Outside the firecrackers are going off.

Sometimes I wonder if I want something to happen. Something broken, not just cracked. Then I wouldn't be waiting, half in and half out.

Maybe I'm angry at her for doing what I hope I never do. For how I'm afraid that I will.

Downstairs, the kitchen door opens and they are momentarily louder.

I will not be this. I will not.

I go in and lie down on my bed, still listening. I start putting this into words, describing it to myself. Thinking about writing about it helps put a structure on things, pins it down. Calms me down.

It's only a small thing after all. Something to write about.

4 Comments:

  • The way you write literally transports me to another space.

    A quiet space where things happen almost in slow motion. Your blog is a calm place in the storm for me.

    By Blogger Jade, at 7:46 PM  

  • Beautiful.

    By Blogger Etoile Tyler, at 11:20 PM  

  • this wouldn't have happened if i were your brother. i don't like other people to know what music i'm listening to, because i fear that they would try to determine my mood by the choice in music and change their behavior toward me based upon their determination, making our interactions even less sincere... so i listen to music with headphones

    By Blogger intentionally left blank, at 10:34 PM  

  • You are strong...takes a strong person to write the way you do.

    By Blogger Dz, at 2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home