Sunday, October 22, 2006

Things I need to hear, Things I want to hear

I say: They look exhausted.

He says: They are. There's just too much on at the moment.

I say: If you - I don't know whether it would help, but if you need someone to come and help out I will. Just let me know.

He says: ...

He says: I don't want to sound harsh. But you have enough on at the moment. And I don't want you burning yourself out because you need to be needed.

He says: I'm sorry.

I say: No. No, I needed to hear that. You're right.

I say: Thank you.


Pause.


I say: You drive much slower these days.

He nods, clicks on the indicator.

I say: Have you stopped wanting to scare your passengers silly?

He says: No. I just want the journey to go slower.

He turns then, to meet my smile with his own.

He says: This time with you is precious.

I turn quickly to look out my window into the falling dusk. Because just then I felt something very strange indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home